Orange & Lemon Ginger Turmeric Shot
Made with raw ingredients, this orange, this vibrant concoction combines the anti-inflammatory properties of ginger and turmeric with the vitamin-rich goodness of lemons and oranges.
I have seen these in the shops, so fancied trying them out for myself! Much cheaper too which is always a bonus! Small but mighty, this orange and lemon ginger turmeric shot has some powerful, healt supporting ingredients. And here, we’ll show you how to make it easily from scratch.
But first, why call it a wellness shot?
This juice is a concentrated drink of turmeric, ginger, and citrus juice with a spicy, sour, and warming kick.
So, drink just a little of it in one or two swigs — like a shot.
The only equipment for this recipe is a good blender to blitz the roots and a sieve to filter the juice. No juicer needed!
As for the ingredients, you’ll need raw ginger and turmeric root, orange and lemon. If you can’t get hold of fresh turmeric replace 15 grams of fresh with 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric powder, and disolve in the juice.
I sprinkle black pepper on the shots at the end as this helps improve turmeric absorption.
Benefits of the Lemon and Orange Ginger Turmeric Shot
- Anti-Inflammatory Support – The combination of ginger and turmeric provides a potent dose of anti-inflammatory compounds. Curcumin in turmeric and gingerols in ginger work synergistically to help alleviate inflammation in the body, offering relief from conditions like arthritis and muscle soreness.
- Supports Immunity – Lemons and oranges are rich sources of Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that aid immune function. Regular consumption of this shot can fortify your body’s natural defense mechanisms, helping ward off infections and illnesses.
- Aids Digestion – Ginger is renowned for its digestive benefits. It aids in alleviating digestive discomfort, reducing bloating, and promoting smoother digestion. This shot can be particularly beneficial when taken before meals.
- Elevates Mood and Cognitive Function – The bioactive compounds in turmeric, combined with the vitamin content in lemons and oranges, contribute to cognitive health. They support brain function and have mood-elevating properties, potentially aiding in reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Detoxifies the Body – Lemons, in particular, are known for their detoxifying properties. They stimulate the liver and aid in flushing out toxins from the body, promoting a cleaner, healthier system.
- Balances Blood Sugar Levels – Research suggests that the compounds in turmeric can help regulate blood sugar levels. Incorporating this shot into a balanced diet may be beneficial for individuals managing diabetes or insulin resistance.
Orange & Lemon Turmeric Ginger shots
- 2 Oranges
- 1 Lemon
- 60 g Fresh Turmeric
- 30 g Fresh Ginger
- 100 ml Water
- 6 Pinches Ground Fresh Black Pepper
- Juice the lemons and oranges.
- Peel the ginger and turmeric, add to a blender with all the ingredients (except the pepper) and blend until smooth. There will be some bits so don't worry about it not being completely smooth.
- Now, strain the ginger turmeric juice through a fine-mesh sieve. Press down the pulpy bits with the back of a spoon to filter and collect as much juice as possible into a glass or container.
- Pour into a glass and add a pinch of pepper (this helps with the turmeric absorption). Any left overs can be kept in a sealed jar for up to 5 days in the fridge.